KFJB AM filed the FM application on November 9th, 1966, wanting 27,400 watts and tower of 312 feet, 1300 feet above sea level. The tower is located southwest of Marshalltown.
The Federal Communication Commission approved the license for KFJB FM on May 26, 1967. The County Board of Supervisors approved the site for the FM tower on August 11, 1967. The General Manager was Bill White.
KFJB FM went on the air on January 19, 1968. The station began broadcasting in stereo on March 26, 1979.
September 27, 1986, the KFJB FM call letters were change to KMTG FM. The power was increased to 75,000 watts. The station aired the music on large reel to reel machines.
On October 25, 1987, KFJB AM and KMTG FM, were sold to David Nelson of De Pere, WI. The stations were purchased from the Times Republican. The new owners took over on December 29, 1986.
January 10, 1987 brought new extended hours of broadcasting for both KFJB AM and KMTG FM. The new hours were from 5 AM to 2 AM, Monday through Sunday.
On June 6, 1987, the KMTG FM call letters were changed to KXIA FM aka KIX 101. A survey was completed to determine the music preference in the market. The winning choice was live country music.
Many new upgrade and technical improvements were made for better audio.
The first live morning show on KXIA Gm was hosted by Mike Elm. Later other announcers were added.
The 1987 staff included: General Manager – Bob Holtan; Sales Manager – John Readon; Sales Staff – Val Ketelson, Jan Crowther, Christie Toman and Jerry Logan; Copy writer – Colleen Keese and Traffic and Office Manager – Sherry Zmolek.
In August of 1995 KIX 101 increased its power to 100,000 watts. The station moved to the top of the new 650 foot tower behind of OJ’s Restaurant on Old Highway 30. The signal covers 25 counties.